I love music. My husband loves music. If you ask him, "so what happened to _________?" (fill in the blank.) He can usually tell you what the band members are doing now, what bands they were in previously and all the stuff people really shouldn't carry in their minds about bands. But I love that about him. Our first anniversary date was to a concert in Salt Lake City. In fact, we used to go to so many concerts. In 1992 we even drove from Provo to Phoenix for a Lollapalooza concert. One Valentine's day we bought tickets off the street to see the Cult. We laughed at all the guys in their mid 30's who were rocking out. (I'm still 29!) It was fun to see the Bauhaus reunion a few years ago.In January we got a new car since our lease was up on the Freestyle. Our new car has Sirius radio. That's fun. Yesterday I started at the first station and we went through to see who could name the band first. He won. I usually know most of the words but not the name of the band. His favorite station is Garage Rock. Mine is 1st Wave. It really takes me back to Jr. High & High School, listening to KROQ. I think I know 99% of the songs they play.
Now my first & oldest daughter likes music but not what we listen to. Her favorite station on Sirius is the Kids Stuff station. Laurie Berkner is her favorite. She's more into female singers with a folksie sound. When Daddy is listening to the Cult, she has her ears plugged. But then she throws us for a loop by loving the theme song to Bob the Builder. Who will her favorite singers be in high school? Niel Diamond, Barbara Streisand, Christopher Cross? If I get too carried away by a song, turn it up & sing, she'll say, "It's too loud! Turn it down!" So I'm sure when she's a teen, we won't have a problem with her blasting the latest, coolest, teen band. Oh! I just saw that there's a Niel Diamond station! Uh-oh!Then there's my youngest. She loves to rock out to the music. You name it, she's movin' & groovin' to the beat. Queen, David Bowie, even Laurie Berkner. She'll bang her head on her car seat to the beat. You know, she's done this for a long time... at least half her life (she's 2!). Now, I know we'll be telling her to turn it down when she's a teen!
We sometimes have dancing night at home. We'll turn on the TV to the music channels and dance around the family room. Fun, cheap entertainment! Plus it helps them to go to sleep quicker!!
Both of my girls love to sing. It's too bad that none of us can carry a tune. I started laughing on Monday night when we had FHE because we were singing our opening song. Boy we sounded awful!!! I thought of our friends, the Johnsons, who moved to Utah. They sing beautifully. When I go to heaven, I'll be able to sing like the angels.
On another note, I've listed more scrabble tile pendants on Etsy. Take a lookie. We'll be having a Midnight Madness sale tonight where all pendants will be $3.99.




1 comment:
That is so cute about family dance nights. We used to do those as well only my Dad doesn't really dance he just moves his arms in a "wheels on the bus go round" motion with an occasional thumbs up mixed in there. But my Mom has all the coolest moves.
I wish I had Sirius radio! :(
Post a Comment