Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Yoga Girl

My oldest daughter has been bugging me to do yoga with her for quite some time. So yesterday I found a yoga for kids on the exercise-on-demand channel. It was a 10 minute segment where we were guided through different positions that go along with the letters A - F. We were alligators, butterflies, caterpillars, driving a car, eagles, and flowers. It was quite fun. With more practice and guidance I can see that she will be very good at yoga.

Before daughter #1 was born I took a yoga class at the gym 2-3 days a week. It was great. I stopped when I had morning sickness so bad that I couldn't do the poses. Today I was able to see one of the teachers of that class and one of the students. The student is a gal in her late 60's or early 70's. I remember her being one of the best in the class. Seeing her today, she had just returned from a yoga and pilates class.

The teacher I just mentioned, Lakshmi, has just released a new DVD. It's called Chair Yoga, Get Fit Where You Sit. She teaches a lot of classes around the valley including many senior centers. One of her good friends has rheumatoid arthritis so she invented this chair yoga. Today at her DVD launch, there were members of a local MS charity. Chair yoga is for anyone, any age, who has problems getting up and down, who works at a desk all day, travels a lot, etc. She demonstrated it today and invited us all to try it. Wow! After a 10 minute chair yoga, I feel great! Please visit her website: www.getfitwhereyousit.com If you know of anyone who would benefit from this extremely beneficial DVD, then send them the link. We were invited to this DVD launch to introduce healthy chocolate. Everyone who attended got a goodie bag with the DVD, some healthy chocolate and other little goodies.

I know that I will incorporate chair yoga into my exercise program (that I have started this week!). My pilates machine has gotten pretty dusty, so it's time to start using it again. The exercise-on-demand channel has some great yoga shows that I've done too. So my goal that I'm starting this month is to do more yoga, pilates and now chair yoga.

I'd love to do ballet again, but my body just doesn't cooperate like it used to. I did ballet for about 10 years; on and off while growing up. Then when I was in high school I took classes from Riverside Ballet Arts. (www.riversideballetarts.com) Here are some photos of the studio (a converted hotel in downtown Riverside) and you can even see Glenda, who was my teacher, in the middle photo. This ballet school is very good. I was in a program where I had classes 3 hours a day 5 days a week and 1 1/2 hours on Saturday morning. When I went off to BYU I took a few ballet classes there, but decided that ballet was not going to be my career, so I focused on fashion instead. I miss the ballet but love yoga & pilates which was introduced to me at RBA. When I go to heaven and have my perfect body again, I'll be dancing and eating chocolate!

4 comments:

Kara & Levi said...

I took a yoga class with my mom once and I just couldn't focus in it so I decided I didn't like it much. I tried a Pilates DVD once and it was interesting but just not fun to me. How can I like these things? They are definately better for my feet than all the running I have been doing. One day though my goal is to like yoga because it does look so relaxing!

Mark and Stefani McCune said...

Find a class in your area and go with a friend. That makes it better. it could be the type of yoga or the teacher that you didn't like. Beginning classes would be best, but they aren't exactly fast moving. After you do it a few times, you might like it better. I've only done pilates on my own. You could take a mat class or find a pilates gym with the machines (but those classes can be pricey because they are usually one-on-one with the instructor.) Do you get Fit TV channel? There's a show with Sharron Mann. I really like her style. She does yoga, pilates, boxing. . . You may like her. OR, I have a better idea. Take a road trip down here! Bring Levi and hang out with us in the sun! Then we can do yoga and pilates together!! Look for your chocolate...it's on it's way!

Kara & Levi said...

From my blog where my "blog counter" is, right underneath it says "Free Counter". Just click on that and it will link you to a website where you can copy and paste and add it to your blog. Its wierd though because it counts when you yourself gets on and I'm probably the one that's on the most on my own blog. Its cool though! I want to come down to INDIO PARADISE badly!!!! I need to warm my body up!!!! :)

Kara & Levi said...

Mmmmmm I received the chocolate! It is sooo good, I ate one of the nuggets right away. I'm gonna start the Omega packed one tomorrow, a little at a time. I've been bad on taking my omega supplements lately. Okay to answer your question you wrote a while ago to me....I used the face the wash set and wow my face was baby smooth! I really like that stuff. My problem is though that I get random spurts of acne breakouts and I've been using this knock off brand of Proactive they sell at Target called Acne Free and I'm afraid that if I stop using that I'll break out big time. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! When does acne stop?? Please answer that.